Friday, August 18, 2017

Faucet Aerators -- or -- Keep Your Receipts


I think I got this 2.0 GPM faucet aerator from Canadian Tire not all that long ago.


It's a piece of junk. The sleeve's action that switches it from spray to stream is very stiff and balky. If I hadn't lost the receipt, I'd try to take it back to the store.

Today, I got a replacement for it from the Home Depot -- a Moen M3512, 1.5 GPM unit.


This one has a nice, smooth-and-easy switching action. I hope it stays that way for a good long while. The price of the things is outrageous; $7.59 CDN + HST (harmonized sales tax) for a bit of plastic that's no doubt mass produced for next to nothing.

- - -

Both units are embossed with "A112.18.1". It seems that A112.18.1 is an ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers) standard for plumbing supply fittings. So, we can conclude that compliance with a standard is no guarantee against defects.

# # #


# # #





No comments:

Post a Comment