Thursday, August 31, 2017

A Pipe Smoker's Bowl Scraper


I've taken up pipe smoking recently as a way to break the cigarette habit. I still smoke a fair bit, but at least the convenience of cigarettes is no longer at hand. Anyway, this is not about my smoking habit; It's about a tool for a pipe smoker.

A pipe smoker needs a correctly shaped blade with which to scrape carbon accumulation from the bowl of his pipe. Such things can be had for a price, of course, as can anything, but I thought I'd fix myself up with a freebie by modifying a pocket knife blade. I have a bogus, made in China Swiss army knife that will serve nicely. The knife is a piece of junk, really, but it's adequate for what I have in mind.


The point at the end of that blade makes it unsuitable for scraping a pipe's bowl. The point just gouges the bottom of the bowl, while the shallow curve of the blade never gets at the radius of the bowl's bottom. Some grinding is in order.


There. That's a start. I'll try that out and see if needs to be improved on.

# # #


# # #



No comments:

Post a Comment