Monday, June 5, 2017

Salvaging Stuff From A Skilsaw Model 3102


I picked up this piece of junk off Kijiji for the sake of the stand. The saw is worthless.


It's an ancient direct-drive 8 1/4" table saw without rip fence or mitre gauge. It runs, but it's scarcely even fit for service as a firewood saw. I'll add it to my collection of stuff that's bound for the scrapyard, but first I'll salvage what bits of it may be useful.

The blade is scrap, but I'll keep the external flange washer and 5/8"-18 arbor nut -- it doesn't hurt to have spares of those.


That red throat insert is a nice piece of steel; I'll keep that as well.

There's a perfectly good 1/4"-20 wingnut at the back, attached to the blade guard mount.



Here's a view of the underside of the saw.


It appears that what Skil did was to take the frame and motor of a portable circular saw, and adapt it to a table saw. The thing still has most of a portable saw's handle on it.

I'll keep the on/off switch. The line cord will make a decent two-conductor extension cord.

- - -

And here's what I've got in the way of electrical salvage.


A little over six feet of 16 AWG two-conductor line cord, a 5/16" cable clamp and a switch. The switch may come in handy the next time that the switch on my Delta midi-lathe gets hopelessly fouled up with dust.

- - -

The elevation and tilt mechanisms yielded a few good bits of hardware.


And that's about it. The rest of the saw is scrap.



- - -

The Stand -- TUESDAY, JUNE 6, 2017

Here it is inside the workshop about to be dismantled.


It's not a bad stand, and I seem to routinely find use for another stand for something-or-other, so I'll dismantle and stash the thing against the day that a need arises. I'll just record a few photos here to help me out with reassembly. (That pegboard panel will likely end up as firewood -- I'm not a fan of pegboard.)






And there we are. One of these days I may have a good use for the thing.

- - -

The Stand Repurposed -- SATURDAY, DECEMBER 15, 2018

I have a spare wire wheel machine with no stand that I'd like to either give to my son or sell, so I decided to put the Skilsaw stand to use as a wire wheel machine stand. I fetched all of the stand's pieces out of storage, gave them a good scrub and reassembled the stand. Here it is holding up the wire wheel machine.




That's not half bad. The stand is about 20" wide x 17" deep x 33 1/2" tall. That 33 1/2" figure is the stand's maximum height. (The height can be reduced by two 2" increments.)

I added a lower shelf from some scrap plywood to give the stand some storage space, and two outriggers to stabilize the stand against any side-to-side 'tippyness'.


I'll prime those wooden parts and paint them light grey, and my wire wheel machine will have quite a decent stand.

# # #


# # #

No comments:

Post a Comment