Tuesday, June 6, 2017

A Roadside Find Shelving Unit


I found this shelving unit discarded by the side of the road the other day.


It needs a bit of work, but it may be just what I need for a stand for a Performax mini wood lathe that I hope to be restoring soon. It's 28 3/8" wide by 30 1/2" tall by 15 3/4" deep. With 3" casters[1] added to it, it will be about the right height for a lathe stand.

The unit is of typical, particle-board knock-down construction, which is to say that water exposure is death to it. There's a bit of water damage to the bottom plank at the back. I've filled some unneeded holes in the bottom, and have it ready for sanding now. Here's a view of that.


Once I'm done with the sanding, I'll seal the bottom with a coat of Tremclad clear coat. Then I'll deal with the unit's messed up back panel, and add some bracing and the casters. I should end up with a reasonably good stand for very little money.

- - -

All Done -- SATURDAY, JUNE 10, 2017

Here it is doing what I wanted it to, holding up a small wood lathe. Not a bad outcome for what I paid for it.



* * *

Note:

[1] Busy Bee Cat. No. B17863 -- set of four casters w/brakes.



# # #


# # #





No comments:

Post a Comment