Saturday, June 14, 2014

'Centreless' Spur Centre Installation


I needed to turn a replacement pruner handle on the wood lathe, and a complication arose with respect to mounting the blank for between-centres turning. One end of the turning blank was necessarily pre-bored to accept the tang of the pruning shears; where a spur centre's point should go, there was a void.

As it turned out, that wasn't really a problem. The four spurs of a spur centre make the spur centre self-centring, even in the absence of a centre point location. Here's a view of what I've just been on about.


Shabby though that arrangement may look, it worked fine. That 'centreless' spur centre installation got me through the entire turning job without a hitch. I sawed off that bit of waste where the spur centre had resided, and I had my completed handle.

# # #


# # #