Saturday, September 11, 2010

Grinding Wheel Dresser

At the risk of appearing to be a shill for Lee Valley, I must give credit where it's due and report on their diamond grinding wheel dresser No. 70M5003.

I'm impressed. The thing works nicely.

The new wheel pictured was almost 0.020" out-of-round, so I thought it would make a good test subject. With very little work I got the wheel to within 0.005" of round. I dressed two other wheels while I was at it and both came clean and 'smooth' easily.

The tool works best when it's swept from side-to-side, using the full length of the dressing head. You might want to wear a shop apron while using it. By the time I was done with the out-of-round wheel, I needed a good vacuuming in front.

- - -

Addendum

This pretty much renders my clunky old star-wheel style dresser obsolete. I must find a good use to put it to.

# # #

FEEDBACK

# # #

No comments:

Post a Comment